Tuesday 8 October 2013

My favourite things...

Having been lucky enough to see most of our winter destinations (perk of the job you may say) choosing a favourite destination is almost impossible. There is one place however that has really stood out for me recently.  In March 2013 I visited the Lulea region of Swedish Lapland and I am not sure whether I have ever returned home more excited about a destination.
Huskies (Pier Rynback)
The activities on offer provide some truly remarkable experiences including one of the most wonderful dog sledding trips I have come across anywhere. There are opportunities to witness some of Lapland’s wonders such as the frozen pack ice and the ever mesmerising Northern Lights. You can stay in unique places such as the awe inspiring Tree Hotel and the Aurora Camp – ‘glamping’ at its best - and there’s exceptionally comfortable accommodation at Sorbyn and Pine Bay Lodge. It was however the people that live and work there that were, above all else, the reason for my enthusiasm.
Sorbyn Lodge (Graeme Richardson)
Lulea is a region where small independent and family run businesses with huge amounts of integrity have come together to work to promote their region and create incredible memories for any visitors. They are passionate and enthusiastic, dedicated to their region and so keen to show you all that it has to offer.  This is tourism on a smaller scale than many areas and fuelled by a community spirit amongst the providers that I doubt that I will encounter again. The region has so much to offer in terms of accommodation, landscape and experiences that create life long memories but the people that provide all of these things are the key to the success. 
Sunset Lulea (GraemeRichardson)

No comments:

Post a Comment